Developing of the Agricultural Insurance System in Palestine ‘Pre Development Phase’
Office of the European Union Representative (West Bank and Gaza Strip,UNRWA)
November 2017 –
Pinto Consulting GmbH
(EuropeAid FWC Lot 10 2017/389380/1)
The global objective of this project is to provide expertise and guidance to the Palestinian Disaster Risk Reduction and Insurance Fund (PADRRIF) in preparing a road map to develop an agricultural insurance system in Palestine to cover production and market risks. The specific objective is to assess the available legislative framework for developing the agricultural insurance scheme with a view to establish an enabling environment and regulatory framework for the private sector engagement in the agricultural sector.
PADRRIF is a non-profit semi-governmental organization whose mission is “managing agricultural risks; through preparedness, risk mitigation, and recovery programs, by providing early warning systems, insurance services and aid to affected farmers and agricultural enterprises; in order to promote their resilience in facing natural and political risks, as well as, to develop the agri-business investment environment, attract production and development projects, and accelerate agricultural development and economic growth”. In executing and achieving this mission efficiently, PADRRIF was established with the intent to carry through the dual responsibility of natural risk documentation, verification and analysis, on the one hand and the creation of compensation schemes to alleviate the impact of damages on productivity within a quick response framework.
- Review PADRRIF law and all laws related to insurance including agricultural insurance in Palestine and identify the weaknesses and gaps;
- Conduct national consultations with all working parties related to the agricultural insurance system including the private sector and relevant civil society organisations;
- Identify the stakeholders to be included in the agricultural insurance administrative framework and the proposed coordination mechanisms between them to ensure synergies;
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of government institutions, insurance companies and private sector and other proposed parties in this system, on the national and local level;
- Assessing the capacity and skills of PADRRIF’s staff in the area of agricultural insurance related aspects and identify weakness and gaps and;
- To draft the agricultural insurance administrative framework according to the best practises with a view to the local context.